Tony Trinick is the head of Te Kura o Te Puna Wananga, the School of Maori Education within the Faculty of Education and Social Work at the University of Auckland. Trinick’s research interests are broadly focused on a number of areas in the teaching and learning of mathematics in the medium of Maori. This includes researching the complex relationship between te reo Maori and mathematics, particularly the development of the mathematics register and the teaching and learning of the register. His research also focuses on student achievement in Maori medium mathematics and the factors that support and impinge on student progress.
- http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503438&objectid=11055679 11 October 2016
http://www.chiefatahm.com/cas_site_2016/conference_pages/2016_presenters.html 11 October 2016
- "Teachers learning the registers of mathematics and mathematics education in another language: An exploratory study." ZDM: Mathematics Education, 2014, 46 (6), 953-965.
- Co-authors T. Meaney and U. Fairhall.
- "Enhancing Student Achievement: School and Community." Learning Partnership. American Journal of Educational Research, 3.2 (2015): 126-136.
- "Reintroducing Māori ethnomathematical activities into the classroom: traditional Māori spatial orientation concepts." Ed. T. Trinick, T. Meaney, and U. Fairhall. Revista Latinoamericana de Etnomatemática: Perspectivas Socioculturales de la Educación Matemática 8.2 (2015): 415-431.
- "E haere ana koe ki hea? Spatial thinking: Traditional Māori systems and language of spatial orientation." Mathematics and Statistics in the Middle Years: Evidence and Practice. Ed. U. R. Averill. Wellington, N.Z.: NZCER Press, 2015
- "Impact of Differing Grammatical Structures in Mathematics Teaching and Learning." Mathematics Education and Language Diversity: The 21st ICMI Study. Ed. R. Barwell, P. Clarkson, A. Halai, M. Kazima, J. Moschkovich, N. Planas, M. Setati-Phakeng, P. Valero & Villavicencio Ubillús M. Dordrecht, Heidelberg, New York, London: Springer, 2016
- Co-authors C. Edmonds-Wathen, T. Trinick, and V. Durand-Guerrier.
- "Finding the way: Cultural revival through mathematics education." Paper presented at Eighth International Mathematics Education and Society Conference, Portland, Oregon, United States. 21 June - 26 June 2015.
- Co-authors T. Trinick, T. Meaney and U. Fairhall.
- "Where is the wairua: Word stories." Paper presented at Analysing Words as a Social Enterprise: Celebrating 40 Years of the 1975 Helsinki Declaration on Lexicography, Massey University, Albany Campus, Auckland, New Zealand. 19 November - 21 November 2015.
- Co-authors H. Dale.
- "Challenges of creating new schooling: The contrasting fortunes of pangarau (mathematics) and tikanga-a-iwi (social studies)." Paper presented at 4th International Conference on Language, Education and Diversity, The University of Auckland, New Zealand. 23 November - 26 November 2015.
- Co-authors H. Dale.