Mr Mulholland is a Senior Research Officer at Massey University. His research interests include Maori rugby, the relationship between Maori and the State, and symbols of nationhood. He is currently undertaking a PhD on the evolution of nationhood which focuses upon the three foci and he is a member of the New Zealand Flag Consideration Panel. Mulholland has also authored "Beneath the Maori Moon: An Iillustrated History of Maori Rugby" and has either edited or co-edited seven Maori academic texts.
- http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/expertise/profile.cfm?stref=703050 28 October 2016
- Independent investigative journalism in Iwi radio. (2005): 81 - 106.
- "Prisons don't work for Maori." Otago Daily Times, (22 Mar 2006): 17.
- "'In-work' payments do nothing for poorest Maori." Otago Daily Times (19 Apr 2006): 15.
- "Hoping lessons learnt from time at the cabinet table." Otago Daily Times, (3 May 2006): .23.
- "Ngāti Whatua O Orakei Corporate Limited." He wairere pakihi : Māori business case studies. Ed. Malcolm Mulholland. Palmerston North, N.Z.: Massey University, College of Business Studies : Te Au Rangahau, 2006.
- State of the Māori nation : twenty-first-century issues in Aotearoa. Auckland, N.Z.: Reed, 2006.
- "Maori sexuality." State of the Maaori nation: twenty-first-century issues in Aotearoa. Auckland, N.Z.: Reed, (2006): 227-235.
- Co-authors Clive Aspin and Jessica Hutchings.
- "Kei a koe te tikanga - it's your choice; The history of the Māori seats." Te Karaka : the Ngai Tahu magazine ( Aut 2006): 28-33.
- "Hoping lessons learnt from time at the cabinet table." Otago Daily Times, (3 May 2006): 23.
- "The major parties and the Maori Party : who will work with whom in 2008?" Otago Daily Times (17 May 2006): 15.
- "Aotearoa : land of the long white cloud." Te Karaka : the Ngai Tahu magazine (Spr 2006): 24-28.
- "The redneck capital?" The Press (Sept. 20 2006): A19.
- "Fighting talk." Mana : the Maori news magazine for all New Zealanders (Dec 2006/Jan 2007): 49-50.
- "Māori and the fourth Labour legacy." Mana : the Maori news magazine for all New Zealanders, 78 (Oct/Nov 2007): 90.
- "Beneath the Māori moon : an illustrated history of Māori rugby." Wellington, N.Z. : Huia, 2009.
- "Mäori rugby in the doldrums." Te Karaka (Aut 2009): 19.
- "Rugby trailblazers." Te Karaka (Aut 2009): 20-21.
- "The oldest no. 15." Mana : the Māori news magazine for all New Zealanders (Aug/Sep 2009): 8-9.
- "100 Years of Maori Rugby." New Zealand Post, 2010.
- Māori and the environment : kaitiaki. Ed. Rachael Selby, Pātaka Moore and Malcolm Mulholland. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia, 2010.
- "Developments. Symbols of Nationhood. " Weeping waters : the Treaty of Waitangi and constitutional change. Ed. Malcolm Mulholland and Veronica Tawhai. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia Publishers, 2010.
- "Challenging Our Symbols of Nationhood." Otago: Centre for Research on National Identity, University of Otago (2011): 15 - 33.
- Māori and social issues. Ed. Tracey McIntosh and Malcolm Mulholland. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia, 2011.
- "Ensign of the times." Sunday star times, (2 Feb 2014): A10-11.
- Marae : the heart of Māori culture. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia : New Zealand Māori Arts & Crafts Institute, Ngā Kete Tuku Iho, 2015.
- New Zealand flag facts. Wellington, N.Z.: New Zealand Flag Consideration Panel, 2016.
- "Seabed and foreshore: How politics impacts upon the sustainability of a resource." Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability. (2005): 209 - 220.
- "Evolution of Nationhood: Haka, Treaty Settlements and National Symbols." Doctoral Thesis, 2016