Veronica Tawhai is a lecturer at Massey University. "Tawhai lectures in policy and politics at Te Pūtahi a Toi. A recent recipient of the Fulbright-Nga Pae o Te Maramatanga scholar award, Ms Tawhai's fields of research and community work include the Treaty of Waitangi, Māori and youth political engagement, constitutional change, and electoral, civics and citizenship education. To date she has co-edited two books, authored several papers and presents widely on these issues. She is a member of Matike Mai Aotearoa, the Independent Working Group on Constitutional Transformation and is completing her PhD on the role of citizenship education in transforming indigenous-coloniser relations."
- http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/expertise/profile.cfm?stref=415630 29 November 2016
- He wharemoa te rakau, ka mahue. Maori engagement with local government: Knowledge, experiences, and recommendations. School of People, Environment and Planning, Massey University, 2007.
- Co-author VM. Tawhai.
- "Civics and Citizenship Education in Aotearoa New Zealand: Multidimensional Challenges." The Social Educator 26.3 (2008): 5-10.
- "Teaching Diversity, Advancing Democracy: Challenges for Citizenship Education in Aotearoa New Zealand." The International Journal of Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations 8.4 (2008): 153-160.
- “Like, if it’s really important, they should be saying!” Research with Rangatahi Māori about Local Political Participation. He Pukenga Kōrero 9.1 (2009): 52-63.
- Co-author CM. Cheyne.
- "Weeping waters: The Treaty of Waitangi and constitutional change." Wellington, N.Z.: Huia Publishers, 2010.
- Co-author M. Mulholland.
- "Rāwaho: In and Out of the Environmental Engagement Loop." Tawhai, VM.) Māori and the Environment: Kaitiaki. Ed. R. Selby, P. Moore, & M. Mulholland. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia Publishers, (2010): 77-94.
- "Citizenship and Education." Tawhai, VMH. Weeping waters: The Treaty of Waitangi and constitutional change. Ed. M. Mulholland, & VMH. Tawhai. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia Publishers (2010): 287-304.
- "Rangatahi Electoral Education." Tawhai, VM. Mana tangata: The politics of Maori empowerment. Ed. M. Mulholland, and H. Tomlins-Jahnke. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia Publishers, 2011.
- "Nga tikanga katoa rite tahi: The Treaty and the Electoral System." Always speaking': The Treaty of Waitangi and public policy. VMH. Ed. Tawhai, and K. Gray-Sharp. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia Publishers, 2011.
- 'Always Speaking': The Treaty of Waitangi and public policy. Ed. VMH. Tawhai and K. Gray-Sharp. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia Publishers, 2011.
- "Nga tikanga katoa rite tahi: The Treaty and the electoral system." ‘Always Speaking’: The Treaty of Waitangi and Public Policy. Ed. VMH Tawhai, and K. Gray-Sharp. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia Publishers, (2011): 95-113.
- "National identity and cultural diversity: A research project that looks at what Year 12 students say about identity in New Zealand: Summary of results." N.Z.: Massey University, 2012.
- Co-authors R. Andrews, A. Bell, P. Butler, V. Tawhai and M. Walshaw.
- "Youth Engagement." Melbourne, AU: Oxford University Press, 2015.
- "He moana pukepuke e ekengia e te waka: Persevering with citizenship education in Aotearoa New Zealand." M.A. Thesis, Palmerston North, New Zealand, 2007.