Linda Erihe was born in Raetihi and was educated at Raetihi Primary School, Turakina Māori Girls’ College, Marton, Auckland School of Nursing, Auckland University and Auckland Technical Institute. She is a NZ Registered Nurse and has an Advanced Diploma in Nursing. Linda works mainly in the areas of health administration, health management and nursing, and is Director of the Māori Health Unit for the Manawatu-Wanganui Area Health Board based in Palmerston North.
Linda writes non-fiction articles, reports and papers.
- Correspondence with Linda Erihe, Dec. 1992.
- "Biculturalism in Nursing." NZ Nursing Journal (1986). No further details.
- "Report of Nursing Education Hui." Ratana Pa, 1986. No further details.
- "Report of Nursing Education and Services Hui." Rongopai Marae, 1987. No further details.
- "Our Culture Is Our Health."(Editorial) NZ Nursing Journal (1988). No further details.
- "Māori Women and Health." Women’s Studies Journal 4.1 (1988): 19-26.
- Co-authors Linda Erihe and Moana Herewini. This paper was prepared for the Royal Commission on Social Policy. It lists the areas that must be addressed if Māori women’s health is to be improved. The authors discuss the connection between women and the land and note that both can be damaged by abuse. The existing initiatives by Māori women to improve Māori health care are described; although these have been beneficial, the authors note that "there is still much to be done" and they list a series of directions which call for a greater recognition of Treaty principles and issues of partnership in discussions between Area Health Boards and the Māori community. The paper concludes that Māori women not only contend against "poor health and poor education" but also are victims of male violence and sexual abuse. The authors argue that these are areas that need to be strongly addressed by Māori men.
- "Alcohol in the Lives of Māori Women." Research by National Council Māori Nurses. Auckland, N.Z.: Auckland U, 1988.
- "Kawa Whakaruruhau." Cultural Safety in Nursing Education. Report from Māori Nurses in Education, 1990. No further details.
- "Cervical Screening and Māori Women." Report presented to the Auckland, N.Z. Area Health Board, Māori Women’s Committee, 1990. No further details.
- "Māori Health." New Zealand Health & Hospital 43.3 (1991): 11-12.
- "Te Kohanga Reo Pilot Project." Report prepared for Te Kohanga Reo National Trust, Wellington, N.Z., 1991. No further details.
- "Critique On Māori Health Plans." Report Tribal Health Planning, Manawatu Wanganui Area Health Board, 1991. No further details.
- "Māori Health Priorities." Report prepared for Māori Health Purchasing Plan, Manawatu Wanganui Area Health Board, 1992. No further details.
- "Ko Te Kaupapa Hauora." Policy - Tribal Health Policy presented to Whanganui River Māori Trust Board, 1992. No further details.
- "Te Kaunihera o Nga Neehi Māori o Aotearoa/National Council of Māori Nurses 1983." Women Together: A History of Women’s Organisations in New Zealand: Nga Ropu Wahine o te Motu. Ed. Anne Else. Wellington, N.Z.: Daphne Brasell; Wellington, N.Z.: Historical Branch, Department of Internal Affairs, 1993. 48-49.
- Co-authors Linda Thompson Erihe and Tania Rei. Erihe and Rei provide a history of Te Kaunihera o Nga Neehi Māori o Aotearoa which was established in 1983 because of inappropriate hospital care of Māori patients. Erihe and Rei state that the focus of the council is on "appropriate health service delivery, and on education and training for the nursing workforce, particularly the issue of cultural sensitivity by health practitioners toward Māori patients in public hospitals."
- "Māori Management In Health and Nursing." National Council Māori Nurses. Paper presented to South Pacific Nursing Forum, Rarotonga Cook Islands, 1988.
- Traditional Māori Attitudes to Human Relationships.
- A paper presented to the Committee of Inquiry into Pornography, Wellington, N.Z., October/November 1988.
- "Mana Wahine: Cervical Screening Evaluation Report." Presented to Health Department, Wellington on Whanganui Māori Women’s Cervical Screening Pilot Project, 1990.
- "Mana Wahine: Māori Women’s Cervical Screening Paper." Presented to the International Congress on Women’s Health, Massey University, 1990.
- "Health Hui – Training." Mana Tangata: Māori Newspaper Mar. 1992: 58-59.
- Rankine, Jenny. "Nurses of Aotearoa." Broadsheet 131 (1985): 42-43.
- Erai, Michelle, Fuli, Everdina, Irwin, Kathie and Wilcox, Lenaire. Māori Women: An Annotated Bibliography. [Wellington, N.Z.]: Michelle Erai, Everdina Fuli, Kathie Irwin and Lenaire Wilcox, 1991. 7.