Catherine Howe was born in Birkenhead, Auckland, and was educated at Bayswater Primary School, Belmont Intermediate, Church College and Takapuna Grammar. She has had an interest in reading and writing stories since her childhood and has written songs, short stories, poetry and a novel. At the age of fifteen, she began to develop her singing careerL: she obtained a recording contract with Zodiac and made several records throughout the 1960s under the Zodiac/Vicount label. Three of her original compositions are performed on the Ngā Waiata o Te Iwi compilation album. She writes "I enjoy all forms of writing, and have received recognition in poetry and short story competitions. My first novel, titled Tales of Te Teko was launched recently. Set in the 1930s, it is a work of fiction, based on fact." She is currently working on a second novel.
- Correspondence and emails from Cathrene Howe, 20 June 1998, 9 and 11 Sept. 2004.
- Huia Short Stories 1997. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia, 1997. 178.
- Duckie Duddle Leaves Home. Writers-Exchange.com: Writers Exchange E-Publishing, 2004.
- Masport and Murray. Writers-Exchange.com: Writers Exchange E-Publishing, 2004.
- Written By Cathrene Howe and illustrated by Alan Halton.
- Tales of Te Teko. Auckland, N.Z.: Short Poppy, 1997.
- A novel about the intertwining relationships, passions, tragedies and hardships of the Māori and Pakeha inhabitants of the small rural community of Te Teko in the 1930s.
- "Destined Appointment." Huia Short Stories 1997. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia, 1997. 55-60.
- In this story, the narrator’s recurring dream of being the victim of horrific car accident suddenly merges into reality. Cathrene Howe was a finalist in the 1997 Huia Short Story competition with this story.
- "Roses In Autumn." Huia Short Stories 5. Contemporary Māori Fiction. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia, 2003. 123-128.
- Cathrene Howe was a finalist with this story in the E Tuhi! Awards for Māori Writers in 2003.
- Ngā Waiata o Te Iwi compilation album. No further details.
- This contains three of Howe’s original compositions.