Cathie graduated with a B.Sc from the University of Melbourne, Australia, has a Graduate Diploma of Data Processing from the Caulfield Institute of Technology, Melbourne, and a Diploma in Librarianship from the Victoria University of Wellington. She is currently employed as Information Services Manager at CAVAL Collaborative Solutions in Melbourne. Previously she worked as a Library Systems Consultant in various locations including: working with AWA Computers in New Zealand as a URICA Support Specialist; as a Systems Support Officer at the National Library of New Zealand; as Head, Library Systems at La Trobe University (Melbourne); and as a Programmer at University College London; and at the Australian Post Office, Melbourne. In 1990-1991 she was awarded the NZLA Mary Fleming Prize, the Rosemary Smith Award and the SWETS Subscription Service Prize by the Victoria University of Wellington for the Graduate Diploma of Librarianship. She writes non-fiction articles and papers.
- Email correspondence 14 and 20 Sept., 16 and 18 Oct. 2007.
- "Software Options." Small Scale Bibliographic Databases. Edited by Peter Judge and Brenda Gerrie. Sydney: Library and Information Science Series, Academic Press, 1986.
- "Online Public Access Catalogues: Interactions between Screen Design, Menu Interfaces and Search Results." LASIE 23.1 & 2, 1992.
- Disaster in Libraries: Prevention and Control. Co-authored with Jeavons Bailie and Judith Doig. 2nd Edition. Melbourne: CAVAL Ltd, 1994.
- "Systems Librarianship in Australia: a Historical Perspective." Library Hi-Tech 21.3 (2003): 297- 308.
- "Programming Languages for Library Automation Systems." Paper presented at a workshop on Library Automation, Australian Computer Society, Canberra, 1978.
- "Potential Use And Problems Of Using Commercial Database Management Packages For Library Applications." VALA National Conference on Library Automation, Melbourne, 1981.
- "Software Options For Bibliographic And Textual Databases." Paper presented at a workshop 'The Generation and Management of Small Scale Data Bases', Library Association of Australia, Canberra, 1982.
- "Online Public Access Catalogues: A Study to Investigate the Interaction Between Screen Design, Menu Interfaces and the Search Results Obtained by Users." 6th VALA Conference, Melbourne, and the CUSP (Common URICA Users of the South Pacific) Conference, Wellington, New Zealand, 1991.
- Presented papers reporting on research done as part of the Graduate Diploma in Librarianship course.
- "CAVAL: A Cooperative Approach To Library Disaster Management." Paper presented at the 'Redefining Disasters: a decade of counter-disaster planning' Conference, State Library of NSW, Sydney and published in the proceedings, 1995.
- "Resource Sharing: Navigating The River Together." Paper presented at the ALIA 9th Special, Health and Law Libraries Conference, Melbourne, 2001.
- "Are Partnerships And Service Models Incompatible?" Information Online 2001 Conference, Sydney, 2001.
- Co-presentors Steve O’Connor and Cathie Jilovsky.
- "Effective and Meaningful Statistics." Online Information and Education Conference 2004 ‘From Open Access to Open Learning’, Bangkok, Thailand, 2004.
- Paper and workshop presented jointly with Sue Henczel and Cathie Jilovsky.
- "Unicode: A Tool For System Interoperability And Human Communication." Paper presented at the VALA 2004 Conference Melbourne, 2004.
- "Collecting Meaningful Statistics." Paper presented at ALIES Conference, Mt Macedon, Victoria, 2005.
- "Data Quality: What Is It And Does It Matter?" Paper presented at the Information Online 2005 Conference, Sydney, 2005.
- "Multilingual Cataloguing: Practical and Technical Issues." Paper presented at the IFLA Satellite Conference ‘The Multicultural Library: Staff Competence for Success’, Stockholm, Sweden. (Jointly authored with Andrew Cunningham, State Library of Victoria), 2005.
- "Library Statistics: reflecting yesterday, today and tomorrow." Paper presented at the 6th Northumbria Conference on Performance Measures for Libraries and Information Services, Durham, United Kingdom, 2005.
- "Measuring Value: A Comparison of Performance Quality Measures and Outcomes Identified by Australian and North American Libraries." 3rd International Evidence Based Librarianship Conference, Brisbane, 2005.
- Paper jointly presented with Steve Hiller (University of Washington, USA) and Cathie Jilovsky.
- "Multi-lingual Cataloguing: Culture, Practice And Systems." Paper presented at the Open Road 2006 Conference: Challenges and Possibilities, Melbourne. (Jointly authored with Lamis Sukkar and Eva Varga, CAVAL Collaborative Solutions), 2006.
- "The Relationship Between Data Quality And System Success." Paper presented at the Ark Group Australia’s Strategic Data Quality Management Conference, Sydney, 2006.
- "Asian Online Statistics: Why, What and How?" Paper presented in Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Bangkok on behalf of the iGroup (Asia), 2006.
- "CLIC @ CLICK06: A Consortial Success Story." ALIA 2006 Conference "CLICK06", Perth, 2006.
- Paper jointly presented with Kathryn Pearson (Macquarie University), Julie Wilson (RMIT University) and Cathie Jilovsky.
- "Library Service Quality Evaluation." Paper presented in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Chiang Mai, Thailand on behalf of the iGroup (Asia), 2007.