Hoterene Keretene, the son of Rev Canon Wiremu Hone Cherrington, was born at Waimate North and was educated at Ngararatunua Native School, St Stephen’s College from 1920-1924, and Te Aute College from 1925-1929 where he was Head Prefect in 1928 and 1929, and Captain of the 1st XV. He studied at St John’s Theological College in 1930, 1931 and 1935, passing all his theological exams. However, according to church records, he was not ordained "for health reasons". He worked as a Welfare Officer with intermittent manual employment until his health declined. He married Seini Jane Head on 28th April 1937 and had five children. Paki Cherrrington writes: "He was injured playing Rugby in 1931, haemorraged badly and sent home to die. He did not die until 53 years later."
- Correspondence from Paki Cherrington on 4 Nov. 1997 and 7 February 2005.
- "Te Kauwhau a Hamuera Matenga." Te Ao Hou 14 (1956): 10-11.
- "Kua Mate A Opo." Te Ao Hou 15 (1956): 52.
- "Te Tupu o Te Mautauranga me nga Mahi Ahuwhenua i roto i Ngapuhi." Te Ao Hou 19 (1957): 48-49.
- "Weddings At Otiria." Te Ao Hou 18 (1957): 63.
- Keretene gives a brief account of the weddings of Rome Davis and Grace Henare, Hotu Kuru and Mereana Cherrington, and Walton Davis and Te Aue Cherrington.