Colin Mantell was educated at Kings High School in Dunedin. In 1958, he received a Ngarimu University Scholarship to study at the University of Otago where he graduated with B.Med.Sc in 1963, and MBChB in 1964. From 1965-66 he was a House Surgeon at Wellington Hospital. From 1967-69 he was a House Surgeon/Registrar at the National Women’s Hospital in Auckland. In 1968, he graduated with Dip. Obst from the University of Auckland. In 1970 he was Locum O&G Consultant at Nethersole Hospital and from Oct 1970-April 1971 he was Registrar at Radcliffe & Churchill Hospitals in Oxford. In 1970 he graduated with MRCOG from the Royal College O&G, London. During 1971 he was a Lecturer at the University of Oxford and from 1972-73 he was a Research Fellow at Nuffield Institute for Research in Oxford. From 1973-77 he was Senior Lecturer at the University of Auckland and from 1977-87 he was Professor (Undergraduate) at the University of Auckland. From 1987 to the present he has been Head of Department, Professor Obstetrics & Gynaecology at the University of Auckland. In 1981 he obtained FRCOG from the same college. In 1982 he was awarded FRNZCOG from the Royal NZ College of O&G. In 1983 he graduated PhD from the University of Auckland. He is currently Professor of Māori Health and Head of Department of Māori and Pacific Health at the University of Auckland. Because Mantell’s area of research is outside the expertise of this bibliographer, Mantell was asked to comment on his own publications. He writes: "most [of my] papers are self-explanatory from their titles. Those on Fetal Breathing are physiological observations. Those on mercury are [concerned with] environmental health. The others are obstetric issues."
- Correspondence with Professor Colin Mantell 17 May 1993 and 9 Nov. 1996.
- "Risk Factors for Neonatal Infection." Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 30.4 (198?): 327-331.
- Co-authors W. A. Spaans, A. J. Knox, H. B. Koya and C. D. Mantell.
- "Observations of Fetal Breathing Movements Transmitted through Maternal Abdominal Wall." Lancet 2 (1972): 1219-1220.
- Co-authors K. Boddy and C. D. Mantell.
- "Human Fetal Breathing in Utero." Journal of Physiology 231 (1973): 105-106.
- Co-authors K. Boddy and C. D. Mantell.
- "Breathing Movements in the Human Fetus." American Journal of Obstetric Gynecology 125 (1976): 550-553.
- "Measurement of Fetal Breathing." Proceedings of Third Conference on Fetal Breathing. Ed. G. Gennser, K. Marshall, and T. Wheeler. Malmo, Swed.: n.p., 1977. 23.
- "Human Fetal Breathing: The Effect Of Altering Maternal CO2 Level." Proceedings of Third Conference on Fetal Breathing. Ed. G. Gennser, K. Marshall, and T. Wheeler. Malmo, Swed.: n.p., 1977. 49.
- "The Measurement of Fetal Breathing Movements with A-Scan and Doppler Techniques." Seminars in Perinatology 4.4 (1980): 269.
- "‘POLYPREF’: Necessity of discrimination?" Te Kaea: The Māori Magazine 3 (June 1980): 15.
- Mantell provides an argument in favour of the Polynesian preference entry scheme at Auckland, N.Z. Medical School.
- Atlas of Fetal Monitoring. Auckland, N.Z.: Postgraduate School of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, National Women’s Hospital, Auckland, N.Z., 1980.
- "Epidemic Perinatal Listeriosis." Paediatric Infectious Disease 3.1 (1984): 30-34.
- Co-authors D. Lennon, B. Lewis, C. D. Mantell, D. Becroft, B. Dove, K. Farmer, S. Tonkin, N. Yeates, R. Stamp, and K. Micleson.
- Physical & Mental Development of Children with Prenatal Exposure to Mercury from Fish. Stage 1: Preliminary Tests at Age 4. National Swedish Environmental Protection Board Report 3080. Solna, Swed.: u.p., Jan. 1986.
- Co-authors Tord Kjellstrom, P. Kennedy, S. Wallis, and C. D. Mantell.
- "Health Care: Comprehensive Antenatal Care And Education Of Young Adolescents: Beneficial Effects On Pregnancy And Outcome." New Zealand Medical Journal (1986): 59-62.
- Co-authors A. Clark, H. Thomson, C. D. Mantell and J. D. Hutton.
- Physical And Mental Development Of Children With Prenatal Exposure To Mercury From Fish: Stage 1: Preliminary Tests At Age 4. National Swedish Environmental Protection Board Report 3080. Solna, Swed.: n.p., Jan. 1986.
- Co-authors T. Kjellstrom, P. Kennedy, S. Wallis, and C. D. Mantell.
- Respiratory Control and Lung Development. New York: Perinatology Press, 1986.
- Fetal Breathing Movements In The Human. In Reproductive And Perinatal Medicine (III) Respiratory Control And Lung Development In The Fetus And Newborn. Ed. P. D. Gluckman and B. M. Johnston. New York: Perinatology Press, 1986.
- "Stillbirths in Auckland, N.Z. 1983-1986." New Zealand Medical Journal (1988): 768-770.
- Co-authors A. H. Widjaja and C. D. Mantell.
- "The O&G Society: An Experiment In Postgraduate Education." New Zealand Medical Journal 8 (Mar. 1989).
- Co-authors B. Brenner and C. D. Mantell.
- Area Health Board Service Planning Model for Sexually Transmissible Diseases. Department of Health, Aug 1989. No further details.
- Physical & Mental Development of Children with Prenatal Exposure To Mercury From Fish: Stage 2: Interviews and Psychological Tests at Age 6National Swedish Environment Protection Board Report 3642. Solna, Swed.: n.p., Aug. 1989.
- Co-authors T. Kjellstrom, P. Kennedy, and C. D. Mantell.
- "A Child Development And Family Study For Preclinical Students (22 Years Experience 1969-1990)." Medical Education Scotland. 1992. No further details.
- "An Obstetric Scoring System. Its Development And Application In Obstetric Management." American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 81.2 (1993):195-9.
- Co-authors C. D. Mantell, A. J. Knox, L. Sadler, N. S. Pattison and P. Mullins.
- "Fetal Breathing." PhD Diss. U of Auckland, 1983.