Mason ‘is a retired District Court Judge….He was the Chair of three Ministrerial Inquiries into the status of mental health services in New Zealand. He was the Chair of the Ministerial Committee that reviewed the Māori Trust Boards Act,. He was a Churchill Fellow, Deputy Race Relations Conciliator for 15 years and Race Relations Conciliator fo three years. He established the Volunteer-in-Person programme for young offenders in South Auckland…He is a former Chair of the North Shore District Prison Board.’ He is a former commissioner of Te Ohu Kai Moana - the Treaty of Waitangi Fisheries Commission and is currently Patron for Age Concern New Zealand.
- “Te Ohu Kai Moana Profile: Treaty of Waitangi Fisheries Commission.” http://www.tokm.co.nz/profiles/commissioners.htm
- “New Patron for Age Concern New Zealand.” http://www.ageconcern.org.nz/acnz/patron 16 July 2009.
- Report of the Committee of Inquiry into Procedures Used in Certain Psychiatric Hospitals in Relation to Admission, Discharge or Release on Leave of Certain Classes of Patients. [Wellington, N.Z.]: the Committee, .
- Review of the Children, Young Persons and their Families Act 1989. [Wellington, N.Z.]: Dept. of Social Welfare, .
- Inquiry under Section 47 of the Health and Disability Services Act 1993 in Respect of the Circumstances Surrounding the Death of Matthew Francis Innes: Report of the Commission of Inquiry to the Minister of Health Hon. Jenny Shipley. [Wellington, N.Z.: The Minister, 1994].
- Inquiry under Section 47 of the Health and Disability Services Act 1993 in Respect of Certain Mental Health Services: Report/ of the Ministerial Inquiry to the Minister of Health Hon. Jenny Shipley. [Wellington, N.Z.: Ministry of Health, 1996].