Born in Whakatane and moved to South Auckland at the age of 12, Belz later went on to study at Auckland University of Technology where he majored in film and television towards a Bachelor of Communications. He has been writing full-time since 2001 as a screenwriter and playwright. He received the Bruce Mason Award for outstanding emerging playwright in 2006. He took up a four-month residency at Le Quesnoy, France and in 2010 he was writer in residence at Waikato University.
- Herrick, Linda. “The Talented Mr Belz.” Listener 19 May 2001: 54-55.
- “Waikato Residency For Albert Belz.” 7 Dec. 2009. http://www.thebigidea.co.nz/grow/tips-tools/2009/dec/63614-waikato-residency-for-albert-belz
- Awhi tapu. Wellington, N.Z. : The Play Press, 2006.
- Guardians of Boy.
- Te Maunga. Performed at Herald Theatre, Auckland, May 2001.
- Awhi Tapu.
- Belz was awarded a Human Rights Commission award for this play.
- Yours Truly.
- Best play at the Chapman Tripp theatre awards in 2007.
- Te Karakia.
- Whero’s New Net.
- Raising the Titanics. Premiered at TAPA in June 2010.
- Herrick, Linda. "The Talented Mr Belz." Listener 19 May 2001: 54-55.
- Liang, Renee, "Cultural Storytellers: Albert Belz." 17 June 2010. http://www.thebigidea.co.nz/news/blogs/talkwrite/2010/jun/70969-cultural-storytellers-albert-belz