Penelope Poutu was born in Taumarunui and was educated at Ohura Primary School, Tongariro High School in Turangi and Massey University from She has a NZ Childcare Certificate and Dip.Tchg (ECE) equivalent. She is a Kohanga Reo, Kura Kaupapa Māori and Community worker. She writes non-fiction articles and reports.
- Correspondence with Penny Poutu 10 Mar. 1993, 17 Mar. 1998 and 12 Aug. 2004.
- Phone call with Penny Poutu 16 Mar. 1993.
- He Patai? Racial Harmony in Palmerston North, N.Z. [Palmerston North, N.Z.]: Palmerston North City Council, 1981.
- Co-authored with P. Spoonley, P. Barcham, and K. McMaster.
- Rapua Te Kura Tika: Beyond Kohanga: A Report on the Establishment of a Kura Kaupapa Māori in Manawatu., September 1989. Palmerston North, N.Z.: Rapua te Kura Tika, 
- Co-authored with Toni Waho on behalf of Rapua Te Kura Tika.