She is Kaitohutohu at Otago Polytechnic and is ‘charged with overseeing the embedding of the Treaty of Waitangi across the organisation.’ She formerly ‘ran a private consultancy business as well as being a part time Senior Lecturer for the Bachelor of Occupational Therapy at Otago Polytechnic. [She] held part time Senior Lecturing positions in Social Work and the School of Education at the University of Otago and did guest lecturing in Law, History, Anthropology and Social Geography." Her academic qualifications are BA (Massey), PGDA (Otago) and PhD (Otago).
- Email correspondence with Khyla Russell and Jenny Aimers, 10 Feb. 2011, 14 Feb. 2011.
- “Dr Khyla Russell.” Otago Polytechnic Te Kura Matatini ki Otago http://www.otagopolytechnic.ac.nz/index.php?id=504&clientref=1029
- Journeys in a Small Canoe: the Life and Times of a Solomon Islander. Lloyd Maepeza Gina. Ed. Judith A. Bennett and Khyla J. Russell. Canberra, Austral.: Pandanus Books in association with the Institute of Pacific Studies, U of the South Pacific, 2003.
- "Movements." Junctures: The Journal for Thematic Dialogue June 2005: 11-12.
- "Landscape: Perceptions of Kai Tahu I Mua, āianei, ā Muri Ake." Spasifika 12 (Jan./Feb. 2006): 72-73.
- "Ko Kā Mea Ki Te Tinana: Body Matters." Childrenz Issues: Journal of the Children’s Issues Centre 2.11, 2007: 5-8.
- "The Treaty of Waitangi and Research Ethics in Aotearoa." Journal of Bioethical Inquiry 6.1 (2009): 61-68.
- Co-authors Maui L. Hudson and Khyla Russell.
- "Simpa" A Very Useful Tool." Ako Aotearoa Good Practice Publication Grant e-book. 2009. http://akoaotearoa.ac.nz/gppg-ebook
- Co-authors J. Camp, K. Russell, J. Sunderland and B. Flack.
- Te Ara Tika Guidelines for Māori Research Ethics: A Framework for Researcher and Ethics Committee Members. Health Research Council of New Zealand and Putaiora Writing Group, 2010.
- Co-authors M. Hudson, M. Milne, P. Reynolds, K. Russell and B. Smith.
- "How Māori Approach Dialogue Around Health-Related Biotechnologies." Maui Hudson, Moe Milne and Dr Khyla Russell. Hui Whakapiripiri 2010
- "A Kai Tahu’s Perception of Landsacpe: (Re) Defining Those Understandings From an Indigenous Perspective." Indigenous Knowledges Conf., Victoria University of Wellington, 2000. http://www.victoria.ac.nz/indigenousknowledges/
- "Cultural Supervision Kawa and Te Tiriti." Cutting Edge Conference, Dunedin, 2005.
- "Cultural Supervision Kawa and Te Tiriti." Annual Treatment Conf. on Alcohol, Drug and Addictive Disorders, Dunedin, 2005.
- "Māori Game Design." Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual Conf. of the National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications, 7-10 July, 2006. Ed. S. Mann and N. Bridgeman. 2006: 165-174.
- Co-authors S. Mann, K. Russell, J. Camp, M. Crook and J. Wikaira.
- "Connections and Connectedness: He Aha Te Rereketaka Ai?" 13th New Zealand Studies Assoc. Conf., U of Dauphine, Paris, France, 2006.
- "Telling the Story of Telling the Story." Poster Presentation at the 19th Annual Conf. of the National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications, Wellington. 7-10 July, 2006.
- Co-authors M. Crook, J. Camp, K. Russell and S. Mann.
- "Worlds Colliding: Participatory Storytelling and Indigenous Culture In Building Interactive Games." ICHM Conf., Toronto, Canada, 24-26 Oct. 2007. http://www.archimuse.com/ichim07/abstracts/prg 335001533.html
- Co-authors K. Russell and S. Mann.
- "Ka Mea Rakatirataka Ki Ta Te Tinana Ora Taitamariki." Children’s Issues Centre Conference Body Matters: Children and Young People’s Physical Well-being and Rights. Dunedin 28-29 June 2007.
- "Two Cultures: Balances, Choices and Effects Between Traditional and Mainstream Education." Oxford Round Table, Oxford, UK. July 2008.
- "How Do You Get Around A Corner Without Turning? Creating and Overcoming Barriers to Young Māori Accessing sexual Health Services. Sexual Health Conf., Dunedin, 2008.
- "Leadership and Influence." Group Services Education Presentation, Te Waiora Centre, Christchurch, 2008.
- "Challenges Faced In My Role." Social Service Providers Aotearoa, Dunedin, Sept. 2008.
- "Simpa: Update on Progress." Proceedings of the Twenty-First Annual Conference of the National Advisory Committee on Computing Qualifications, 2008.
- Co-authors V. Weatherall, K. Russell and S. Mann.
- "Māori Cultural and Physical Identification with Landscape and Coast, With Water and Mountain, With Species and Resources." Native Studies Research Network Conf., Indigenous Bodies: Reviewing, Relocating, Reclaiming, U of East Anglia, Norwich, UK, July 8-10, 2009.
- "SimPa in Review." NACCQ Conf. Napier, July 2009.
- Co-authors T. Weatherall, S. Mann and K. Russell.
- "Art works: Mahi Toi." ANZAAE Conf., Dunedin, 20-23 April 2009.
- "The Many Indigenous Bodies of Kai Tahu." Indigenous Bodies: Reviewing, Relocating, Reclaiming. School of American Studies, U of East Anglia, Norwich, 2009.
- "Protecting Treasures: Engaging Communities and Recreating Narratives." Museums and the Web 2010: Proceedings. Ed. J. Trant and D. Bearman. Toronto: Archives & Museum Informatics, 31 March, 2010.
- Co-authors S. Mann and K. Russell.
- "Māori Model: Interconnectedness of Identity, Wellness, and Ethics." International Network of Indeigenous Health Knowledge and Development (NIHKD) Conf., Port Madison Indian Reservation, Suquamish Nation, USA, 24-28 May 2010.
- "Book Reviews." Rev. of This Horrid Practice, by Paul Moon. Te Karaka 40 (Spr. 2008): 72.
- "Landscape: Perceptions of Kai Tahu I Mua, āianei, ā Muri Ake." PhD. Thesis. U of Otago, 2000.
- "Poroporoaki." Te Karaka: The Ngai Tahu Magazine 19 (Aut. 2002): 1.
- Co-authors Khyla Russell, Mei Simon-Maghanoy, Janine Kapa Brooking.
- "Poroporoak˚: Kelly Davis." Kai Kōrero 1 (Dec. 2007): 5.
- Co-authors Khyla Russell and H. Moller.