Margaret was born in Pahiatua and was educated at Makuri Primary School, Solway College and Tararua College. She continued her studies at Massey University and Victoria University, graduating with a B.A. and an M.A. She worked as a teacher from 1979-2001 and then devoted herself to full-time writing for four years. She is currently involved with teaching and writing. Margaret has attended a writing workshop at Hongoeka Marae led by Adrienne Jansen. In 1997 she was a finalist in the Huia awards as a new writer, and in 2001 was a finalist in the Huia awards for already published writers. She has been a recipient of the Harriette Jenkins Award.
- Correspondence from Marty Smith, 8 March 2005.
- "Easy." Huia Short Stories. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia, 1997.
- "The Elements of Drowning." Huia Short Stories 4: Contemporary Māori Fiction. Wellington, N.Z.: Huia, 2001. 247-248.
- "Dracula." Turbine (2004). No further details.
- "Cuchulainn Wins the Great Northern." Turbine (2004).